The Prevalence of obesity among children in the urban areas is increasing due to less physical activity, high consumption of fast-food, and more time spent on using the gadget. This study aimed to identify physical activity among obese and non-obese children. This descriptive study involved 322 obese and non-obese students from 4th to 6th grade in an elementary school in Makassar. Physical Activity Questionnaire for Older Children (PAQ-C) was used to measure childrenâ€™s physical activity, while the anthropometrical parameter was measured using a standardized instrument. Childrenâ€™s body mass index for age z-score (BAZ) was used to classify their nutritional status based on the criteria of Growth Reference for Children from 5 to 19 years old from World Health Organization. Cross-tabulation was used in analyzing the data. Obese and non-obese children in this study were found 53 (16,0%) and 279 (84,0%), respectively. A hundred percent of obese children have low physical activity, while non-obese children have better physical activity. In conclusion, elementary school students in this study have low physical activity, particularly among obese children. Children are rarely spent on their time to do physical activity. There is a need to promote appropriate physical activity among children to prevent and treat obesity among children. Health professionals could provide health education and counseling to children, family and/or schools to manage physical activity among children.
2. WHO. Obesity and overweight. 2016. Dipetik September 5, 2017, dari http//www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs3311/en/
3. KEMENKES. Riset kesehatan Dasar. 2013. Diambil kembali dari http://www.depkes.go.id/resources/download/general/Hasil%20Riskesdas%202013.pdf
4. KEMENKES. Riset Kesehatan Dasar. Jakarta: Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. 2007
5. Mushtaq, M. U., Gull, S., Mushtaq, K., Shahid, U., Shad, M. A., & Akram, J. Dietary behaviors, physical activity and sedentary lifestyle associated with overweight and obesity, and their socio-demographic correlates, among Pakistani primary school. 2011. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act, 8-130.
6. Kowalski, K., Crocker, P., & Donen, R. The Physical Activity Questionnaire for Older Children (PAQ-C) and Adolescents (PAQ-A) Manual. 2004. Canada: College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan.
7. Keating, C., Backholer, A., Peeters, A. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults. 2014. Vol.384. Issue 9960. www.thelancet.com. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)62367-9
8. Sarah, F dan Pujonarti, A. Penggunaan gadget, aktivitas fisik, asupan, dan kaitannya dengan overweight pada siswa SD Marsudirini Matraman Jakarta. FKM UI Jakarta. 2013.
9. Mustelin, L., Pietilainen, K., Silventoinen, K., dan Kaprio, J. Physical Activity Reduces The Influence Of Genetic Effects On BMI And Waist Circumference: A Study In Young Adult Twins. 2009.â€‚International journal of obesity (2005) 33(1):29-36 â€¢ January 2009
10. Laguna, M., Ruiz, J.R., Gallardo, C., Pastor, T.G., Lara, M.T., &Anzar, S. Obesity and Physical activity patterns in children and adolescents. 2013. Journal of Pediatric and Child Health, 49(11), 942-949. Doi:1-.1111/jpc.12442.
11. AAP. Healthy children. 2015. Dipetik September 20, 2017, dari https://www.healthychildren.org/English/healthy-living/fitness/Pages/Energy-Out-Daily-Physical-Activity-Recommendations.aspx
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.