The Difference of Menstural Pain Reduction between Warm Compress and Back Massage
Menstrual pain can reduce activities. A preliminary study showed that 80% of the students of STIKES Aisyiyah Surakarta experienced the menstrual pain. A non-pharmacological intervention to reduce the menstrual pain can be done through the execution of warm compress and back massage. The aim of this study was to investigate the difference of pain reduction between warm compress and back massage on menstrual pain among the students of STIKES Aisyiyah Surakarta. This was a quasy experimental research with the non-randomized control group pretest posttest design. Thirdty students STIKES Aisyiah became the research subject. The result of Paired T Test showed that the mean of warm compress= 2.400, with the p-value= 0.000 was greater than that of back massage= 1.267 with the p-value= 0.002.This indicated that there was a difference between the two methods as the warm compress was more effective than back massage on reducing menstrual pain. In time to come, midwifes should conduct counseling on menstrual pain with natural and safe warm compress.
2. Olivia, Femi., 2013. Mengatasi Gangguan Haid. Jakarta, PT Alex Media Komputindo, pp. xvii, 68-69.
3. Manuaba dkk., 2010. Buku Ajar Penuntun Kuliah Ginekologi. Jakarta, Trans Info Media
4. Anurogo, Dito dan Ari Wulandari., 2011. Cara Jitu Mengatasi Nyeri Haid. Yogyakarta, Penerbit Andi, pp. 32-33, 108.
5. Kundarti, FI, Lumastari AW dan Wuri WA., 2012. Perbedaan Tingkat Dismenorhoe Primer pada Siswi yang Rutin Melakukan Olah Raga dan yang Jarang Melakukan Olah Raga di SMA N 8 Kota Kediri. Volume III: pp. 183.
6. Fauziyah, Iin Zuliyati., 2013. Efektivitas Teknik Effleurage terhadap Penurunan Tingkat Disminore pada Siswi SMA N 1 Gresik.
7. Ikawati, Zullies.,2011. Farmakoterapi Penyakit Sistem Syaraf Pusat. Yogyakarta, Bursa Ilmu, pp. 35-36.
8. Potter, Patricia dan Anne Grifin Perry., 2007. Buku Ajar Fundamental Keperwatan: Konsep, Proses, dan Praktik Edisi 4 Volume 2. Jakarta, Buku Kedokteran EGC, pp. 1533.
9. Tamsuri, Anas., 2007. Konsep dan Penatalaksanaan Nyeri. Jakarta, Buku Kedokteran EGC, pp. 52-55.
10. Wijanarko, Bambang., 2010. Sport Massage: Teori dan Praktek. Surakarta, Yuma Pustaka, pp. 1, 41-43, 57, 84-88.
11. Lowe, Whitney W., 2009. Orthopedic Massage Theory and Technique Second Edition. China, Elsevier pp. 44.
12. Judha, M, Sudarti dan Afroh Fauziah., 2012. Teori Pengukuran Nyeri dan Nyeri Persalinan. Yogyakarta, Nuha Medika, pp. 35-36, 45.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work