Frequency of stools in diarrhea children requires special attention because it can cause dehydration which is the leading cause of death in children with diarrhea. Previous studies state that tempe and honey are effective in reducing the frequency of stools in diarrhea children. However, it is not known which intervention is more effective. Therefore, this study aims to determine whether there is a difference in the effectiveness of tempe biscuits and honey to decrease the frequency of stools in diarrhea. This study employed the quasi-experiment design with two groups pre and post-test. A total of 30 samples were taken by Accidental Sampling. Samples were divided into 2 groups, where 15 people were given the intervention of tempe biscuits, and 15 other people were given honey. Giving tempe biscuits and honey are given 3 times a day for two consecutive days. Data were analyzed using the Wilcoxon Test. The results of this study indicate that tempe biscuits and honey is effective in reducing the frequency of stools in diarrhea children (p = 0.001 and p<0,001). Although the decrease in the frequency of stools in the group with honey was greater than the group with tempe biscuits, the results of this study showed that there were no significant differences between the two interventions to decrease the frequency of stools (p = 0.385). Therefore, in reducing the frequency of defecation, tempe biscuit and honey can be used as good food supplements for diarrhea children.
2. Nurfita, D. Factors Related to Diarrhea in Toddlers at Bulu Lor Health Center, Semarang City. KesMas: Faculty of Public Health Journal, 11 (2), 153â€“158. 2017
3. Farthing, M., Salam, M. A., Lindberg, G., Dite, P., Khalif, I., Salazar-Lindo, E., Khan, A. G. Acute diarrhea in adults and children: a global perspective. Journal Clin Gastroenterol, 47 (1), 12â€“20. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCG.0b013e31826df662. 2013
4. Health Office. Makassar City Health Profile 2015, 45. 2016.
5. RI Ministry of Health. Basic Health Research (RISKESDAS) 2013. 2013 National Report, 1â€“384. https://doi.org/1 December 2013. 2013
6. Setiawati, H. Effect of Giving Tempe Porridge Diet on CHAPTER Frequency in Diarrhea Children in the Mina Room of PKU Muhammadiyah Hospital in Surakarta. Scientific Publication Script. 2015
7. Cahyadi. Soybean Benefits and Technology. Jakarta: Bumi Aksara. 2012
8. Nadhilla, N. F. (2014). The Activity Of Antibacterial Agent Of Honey Against Staphylococcus aureus at the University of Waikato in New Zealand. Review Articles, 3, 94â€“101. 2014
9. Puspitayani, D., & Fatimah, L. Effect of Giving Honey on Decreasing the Frequency of Diarrhea in Toddlers in Ngumpul Village, Jogoroto, Jombang. Eduhealth Journal, 4 (2), 2â€“7. 2014
10. Darmita. Effect of Provision of Complementary Food ASI (MP-ASI) Tempe Formula Against CHAPTER Frequency in Children Diarrhea Ages 6-24 Months in Syekh Yusuf District Hospital. Gowa. Thesis of Makassar Alauddin State University. 2017
11. Hartiningrum, S. Y. Effect of Giving Preda and Tempe Formulas on the Duration of Acute Diarrhea in Children Aged 6-24 Months. Thesis. Diponegoro University Semarang. 2010
12. Cholid, S., Santosa, B., & Suhartono. Effects of Honey on Acute Diarrhea. Pediatric Spokes, 12 (5), 289â€“295. Retrieved from http://saripediatri.idai.or.id/pdfile/12-5-1.pdf. 2011
13. Nurazizah. Effectiveness of Giving Honey on the Frequency of Defecation (Chapter) and BodyWeight in Acute Gastroenteritis (Gea) Patients in the Baji Minasa Room of Rsud Labuang Baji Makassar in 2015, Thesis of Alauddin Makassar Islamic University. 1â€“83. 2015
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.