Diabetes mellitus is one of the major causes of health problems and often occurs in almost every country (1). About 15% of all diabetics will have foot ulcers that are a serious complication and have an impact on amputations in the lower extremities (2). The rate of ulcers on the feet may occur over a five-year time span of 70% (3). The purpose of this study was to determine the relationship between self care diabetes on foot ulcer risk in clients with diabetes mellitus. The research design used was quasy experiment (pre-post test with control design). This research consists of 2 groups of intervention and control with each respondent as much as 47. Sampling technique with consecutive sampling. Instruments used monofilament 10 g neuropathy diabetic test Semmes-Weinstein monofilament type, 128 Hz tuning fork, foot care and leg exercises checklist form. The analysis used is paired t-test. There was relathionship between self care diabetes on foot ulcer risk with significance value is 0.00 (Î± <0.05). Diabetes self care is effective to prevent risk of foot ulcer in diabetes mellitus client.
diabetes self care, fool ulcer risk, diabetes mellitus
- Fujiwara Y, Kishida K, Terao M, Takahara M, Matsuhisa M, Funahashi T, et al. Beneficial effects of foot care nursing for people with diabetes mellitus: an uncontrolled before and after intervention study. J Adv Nurs. 2011;67(9):1952â€“62.
- Bakker K, Rilley P (2005). The Year on the Diabetic Foot, Diabetes Voice; Vol. 50. Hal. 11-14. Di-akses tanggal 30 Oktober 2016.
- Kotru S, Kotru B, Joshi K. Intervention of diabetes foot care practices on the prevention of new dia-betic foot ulcers in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J DIABETES Metab. 2015;6(2).
- Aalaa M, Malazy OT, Sanjari M, Peimani M, Mohajeri-Tehrani M. Nursesâ€™ role in diabetic foot preven-tion and care; a review. J Diabetes Metab Disord. 2012;11(1):24.
- Kavitha KV, Tiwari S, Purandare VB, Khedkar S, Bhosale SS, Unnikrishnan AG. Choice of wound care in diabetic foot ulcer: A practical approach. World J Diabetes. 2014 Aug 15;5(4):546â€“56
- Singh N, Armstrong DG, Lipsky BA. Preventing foot ulcers in patients with diabetes. Jama. 2005;293(2):217â€“28.
- Reiber GE, Vileikyte L, Boyko E de, Del Aguila M, Smith DG, Lavery LA, et al. Causal pathways for incident lower-extremity ulcers in patients with diabetes from two settings. Diabetes Care. 1999;22(1):157â€“62.
- Richard J-L, Sotto A, Lavigne J-P. New insights in diabetic foot infection. World J Diabetes. 2011 Feb 15;2(2):24â€“32.
- Perkins BA, Olaleye D, Zinman B, Bril V. Simple Screening Tests for Peripheral Neuropathy in the Diabetes Clinic. Diabetes Care. 2001 Feb 1;24(2):250â€“6.
- Alligood MR. Nursing Theorists and Their Work. Elsevier Health Sciences; 2014. 765 p.
- LeMone P, Burke KM, Bauldoff G. (2015). Buku Ajar Keperawatan Medikal Bedah. Volume 2, Edisi 5, EGC : Jakarta
- Sudoyo AW, Setyohadi B, Alwi I, Simadibrata KM, Setiati S, (2007) editor. Buku ajar ilmu penyakit dalam. Jakarta: Pusat Penerbitan Departemen Ilmu Penyakit Dalam FKUI: 1852-1859
- Waki S, Shimizu Y, Uchiumi K, Asou K, Kuroda K, Murakado N, et al. Structural model of selfâ€care agency in patients with diabetes: A path analysis of the Instrument of Diabetes Selfâ€Care Agency and body selfâ€awareness. Jpn J Nurs Sci. 2016;13(4):478â€“86.
- Shrivastava SR, Shrivastava PS, Ramasamy J. Role of self-care in management of diabetes melli-tus. J Diabetes Metab Disord. 2013;12(1):14.
- Caroâ€Bautista J, MartÃnâ€Santos FJ, Moralesâ€Asencio JM. Systematic review of the psychometric properties and theoretical grounding of instruments evaluating selfâ€care in people with type 2 Diabe-tes Mellitus. J Adv Nurs. 2014;70(6):1209â€“27.
- Xu Y, Toobert D, Savage C, Pan W, Whitmer K. Factors influencing diabetes selfâ€management in Chinese people with type 2 diabetes. Res Nurs Health. 2008;31(6):613â€“25.
- Wattana C, Srisuphan W, Pothiban L, Upchurch SL. Effects of a diabetes selfâ€management program on glycemic control, coronary heart disease risk, and quality of life among Thai patients with type 2 diabetes. Nurs Health Sci. 2007;9(2):135â€“41.